Thursday, September 25, 2014

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Singles of 1984

Last week, Rolling Stone's online component posted their list of the Top 100 singles of 1984, a year that they are (finally) calling "the year that pop stood tallest." Well, Musician magazine said basically the same thing - in 1989 - and I said it in 1985. Since I lived through this incredible year, which was not only a great year for pop but also for Amerindie/punk as well (sidebar post to come), I thought I'd do a post a day, offering my own perspectives on each song/video. If I double up a few days at first, I should post the number one on New Year's Eve 2014. Along the way, I'll supplement with other thoughts on the music of 1984 as experienced by a 17 year old boy, just shaking off comic books (bad move in retrospect) and embracing the fairer sex (questionable move in retrospect) and wholly dedicating his head, heart and wallet to music of every stripe. 

Rolling Stone's criteria in choosing songs needs to be explained - a song had to be released in 1984 (well, duh) or have significant chart impact in 1984 (to allow songs by Michael Jackson that were almost two years old to be on the list) and have charted on the Billboard Top 100 (to continue a 30 year streak of ignoring/undervaluing The Smiths and Morrissey.) 


Full disclosure - I read Rolling Stone RELIGIOUSLY from June 1983 to 1997 and then again with alternating  annoyance/surprise for the last 8 years. Those interested in better consistency and depth, please, please try Paste.com, Pitchfork.com, Stereogum.com, TheQuetus.com and Spin.com (for starters.)


http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-best-singles-of-1984-pops-greatest-year-20140917

No comments: