Monday, July 20, 2009

A Quick One from 7-11

Took my little one to 7-11 to get some ice cream and was looking at the Slurpee promotional for the G.I. Joe film coming out in August and was reminded of the fact that someone had said to me a few months back, "What the fuck is Dennis Quaid doing, making a G.I. Joe movie?"

Typically, I'd lob back, "Well, everyone's gotta take one for the mortgage." But I was in a charitable mood and decided to go somewhat the higher road. So, respectfully, I submitted that it looked like it was a fun movie to make and that he probably had a fun time making it. Furthermore (and moreover, to boot), it looked like it was going to make some money, which would in turn make some money for Mr. Quaid.

And I was also reminded that over 20 years ago, when Who Framed Roger Rabbit was about to come out, that I said to myself and all around me, "What the fuck is Bob Hoskins doing, making a half-animated Disney film?" I mean, I had seen him in A Prayer for the Dying with Mickey Rourke, a good drama with some things to think on. And he'd been in Mona Lisa, as good a film as the 1980s British film renaissance produced (you can throw in The Long Good Friday and I won't argue.) Hell, he was in Brazil, one of the best movies EVER. So you can see where I was coming from.

Of course,
Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out, did monster business and even better, got great notices for Hoskins' performance, leading him to make some more good movies. (Another "Of course", of course, is that he went on to make Super Mario Brothers, which TOTALLY screws my thesis in more than one way here. Shhhh.)

But it taught me something - Bob Hoskins is smarter than me. That's why he gets to MAKE movies and I just have to WATCH them.

And now we're back to Dennis Quaid. Can't wait to watch this one.

No comments: